Are you self-conscious about your smile? Is there anything about it you want to change?
Cosmetic dental procedures offer a solution.
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on improving the appearance of a smile. These procedures are elective and aesthetic by nature. But they often improve oral health and well-being.
When you’re happy and confident about your smile, you’re more likely to show it off. Your smile can impact how people perceive you. It can make you appear friendlier, warmer, or more welcoming.
How will I know if I need cosmetic dentistry?
Here are some signs you may be a good candidate for cosmetic dental procedures.
- Discoloured or stained teeth
- Damaged tooth or teeth (chipped, fractured, or broken)
- Misshapen teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Decayed tooth
- Crooked teeth
- Gummy smile
Reasons for needing cosmetic dental treatments are individual. Some may find ‘imperfect’ smile features attractive and enhancing, rather than concerning.
Start with a dental assessment to know whether it’s safe to leave your mouth as it is, or if fixes are necessary to maintain good oral health.
Types of cosmetic dental procedures
Aesthetic dental procedures vary. Some are simple and can be done at home, with guidance from your dental care team. While some are major and can only be performed by your dentist.
Here are common cosmetic procedures dental offices offer:
- Teeth whitening. Anyone can experience tooth discolouration. This can be due to diet, medication, health history, aging, and lifestyle. Teeth whitening can be performed at the dental office, with visible results after your first visit. It can also be done at home, using custom trays. Your dentist recommends suitable options depending on your cosmetic goals.
- Veneers. Veneers are custom, thin shells attached to tooth surfaces. They offer an option for stained, chipped, cracked, or misshapen teeth. The material used is customized to match existing tooth colour to create a natural and uniform appearance. Veneers involve removing a small part of the enamel to make room for the shells.
- Crowns. Dental crowns or caps replace the visible part of the tooth or the area above the gumline. They’re customized to ensure a natural-looking appearance. Crowns aren’t for aesthetic purposes alone. They strengthen a weakened or damaged tooth. They can also be used with other restorative procedures like implants.
- Teeth lengthening. Teeth lengthening may be suitable for patients who want their gummy smile fixed. Your dentist recontours gum tissue to show more of your teeth and reduce gum appearance. Teeth lengthening can also be an option if there are not enough teeth to secure a crown.
- Implants. A dental implant is a titanium screw attached to the jawbone. It replaces tooth roots and offers a permanent solution to missing teeth. An implant looks and performs like a natural tooth. It restores your chewing abilities and preserves bone structure and face shape.
- Restorative procedures. A restorative procedure involves a combination of treatments to achieve your desired smile. Your dentist may recommend it if a single procedure isn’t enough to address your oral health concerns. Your dentist works closely with you in developing a treatment plan.
Learn more about cosmetic dental procedures in Downtown Edmonton
We’re pleased to offer cosmetic dentistry to our patients here at Central Dental Family Dentistry in downtown Edmonton. Our General Dentists are happy to help you boost the health and appearance of your smile.
To learn more about aesthetic dental treatments, contact us at 780-424-6699.
Schedule a visit to speak with one of our dentists about your smile goals. Find out which dental procedures can help you achieve a beautiful and healthy smile.